The Anatomy of a Great Travel Outfit
Knowing what to wear on the airplane can make or break your trip—especially if you aren’t checking a bag!
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase something through one of my links,
I may receive a small commission with no extra cost to you.”
I’ve been traveling a fair amount in the past few years, so I’ve learned a thing or two about packing. The best packers, I believe, begin by wearing the right thing on the airplane.
Here’s my breakdown of a great travel outfit.
1) Start with the shoes. Choose your largest pair, to free up space in your suitcase. I usually try to wear my athletic shoes or a pair that is comfy for walking around the destination. But, if you have a huge pair of wedges planned to wear, you may consider incorporating them into your travel outfit to free up suitcase space.
2) Wear comfy pants. Last week, I wore an adorably comfy jumpsuit on the airplane. And it felt awesome and looked great, BUT! Every time I had to use the tiny airport restroom, I was cursing myself. I was half-naked, trapped in a tiny bathroom during turbulence imagining the door flying open. And, I know it may be tempting to wear a maxi dress or skirt, but that’s too much fabric all over the place. Think of the stuff you are dragging it through all day!
3) LAYER. Sometimes the airplane is too cold. Sometimes it’s too hot. You just don’t know. I like to be prepared for any temperature by bringing a pair of socks, if I’m not wearing them. I also suggest throwing on a jacket and adding a scarf. These will come in handy at your destination too. Even when I’m in the most tropical of destinations, it seems that I still get chilly!
4) A versatile top. Choose something that you can wear again either on the way home or at your destination. This means…not a white tee shirt! You will definitely spill your Starbucks down the front. Why is it that white tops are magnets for spills? Like every other day of my life I can avoid dribbling food on my top, but the day I’m wearing a sparking new white tank is the day I make a mess of myself. (I digress)
5) A big “personal item” bag. I have decided that I can either check a bag and bring a tiny purse with me on the flight, or I can carry on my bag and the spillover goes in a big personal item. That’s just how it seems to work for me! I recommend getting a bag that is easy to clean with lots of pockets.
I hope you already own all of these pieces in your wardrobe! If not, I have a free Capsule Wardrobe Essentials Guide that will help you curate the next look. I love a great denim jacket. Like, a GREAT denim jacket. One that fits perfectly, goes with everything and feels comfortable. Not a cheap one that you actually hate wearing that doesn’t flatter you. It’s a trial and error process to find the right one! If you want my favorite, Here’s my affiliate link!
Follow along on my trip in my Instagram Stories! My girlfriends and I have been going away together for 12 years and we have gotten the fun and festivities down to a science. I’ll share more about that another day.